How To Attach And Mount an EBS Volume To AWS EC2 Linux Instance
Step 1: EC2 console –> Volumes and create a new volume of your preferred size and type.
Step 2: Select the created volume, right click and select the “attach volume” option.
Step 3: Select the instance from the instance text box and complete attachment
Step 4: Login to the ec2 instance and list the available disks using the following command. The command will list the disk you attached to your instance.
Step 5: Check if the volume has any data using the following command.
sudo file -s /dev/xvdf
If the above command output shows “/dev/xvdf: data”, it means your volume is empty.
Step 6: Format the volume to ext4 filesystem using the following command.
sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/xvdf
Step 7: Create a directory of your choice to mount our new ext4 volume. I am using the name “data”
sudo mkdir /data
Step 8: Mount the volume to “data” directory using the following command.
sudo mount /dev/xvdf /data/
Step 9: cd into data directory and check the disk space for confirming the volume mount.
The above command would show the free space in the data directory.
By default on every reboot the EBS volumes other than root volume will get unmounted. To enable automount, you need to make an entry in the /etc/fstab file.
1. Back up the /etc/fstab file
sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak
2. Open /etc/fstab file and make an entry in the following format.
device_name mount_point file_system_type fs_mntops fs_freq fs_passno
/dev/xvdf /data ext4 defaults,nofail
3. Execute the following command to check id the fstab file has any error.
sudo mount -a
If the above command shows no error, it means your fstab entry is good.
Now, on every reboot the extra EBS volumes will get mounted automatically.
That’s how you mount and unmount EBS volumes in your ec2 instances.
- Microsoft Certified: Azure DevOps Engineer Expert
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect Expert
- Microsoft 365 Certified: Messaging Administrator Associate
- Microsoft Certified Azure Administrator Associate
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals
- Microsoft Certified: Security, Compliance, and Identity Fundamentals
- Microsoft Certified: Azure AI Fundamentals
- MCSA, Microsoft Windows Server
- MCITP, Exchange Server
- ITIL V3 Certified